Want to be the Batman? Can't find Alfred or Lucius? Don't worry with Mik at hand you will be the Caped Crusader or a villain in no time.
Well, first step is to pick your faction, the Bat-Builder site is very useful for this as it will let you see what models are available for each faction (its regularly updated too) as well as their individual cards complete with their stats and rules.
Most starting games go for 150 rep $500 but you can play up to 450 rep games shold you wish. The general consensus is that 350 rep is accepted average.
150 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 1 Free Agent, $500
200 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 1 Free Agent, $1000 - 2 Free Agents if Charistmatic
250 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 1 Free Agent, $1000 - 2 Free Agents if Charistmatic
300 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 2 Free Agents, $1000 - 3 Free Agents if Charistmatic
350 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 2 Free Agents, $1500 - 3 Free Agents if Charistmatic
400 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 2 Free Agents, $1500 - 4 Free Agents if Charistmatic
450 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 3 Free Agents, $1500 - 4 Free Agents if Charistmatic
500 - 1 Leader/Sidekick, 1 Sidekick, 3 Free Agents, $2000 - 5 Free Agents if Charistmatic
Now you can start selecting characters, remember that the sum of the Reputation of each character can never exceed the maximum Reputation established.
Each player must choose a "Band Leader" between the characters ranked as "Leader" or "Sidekick". All other characters of each Band must have the same affiliation as the "Band Leader". If a character has an "Unknown" affiliation they may be elected by any Band. If a character has "Hates" affiliation they can never be chosen as part of that faction.
All characters have any of the following ranks: Leader, Sidekick, Henchman or Free Agent. This rank determines your choices as follows:
• You can only include 1 Leader. This must be the "Band Leader"
• You can only include 1 Sidekick, unless you choose a Sidekick as "Band Leader". In this case you may include a second Sidekick.
• You can only include 1 Free Agent every 150 reputation points of the Band total.
• You can include any number of Henchmen.
• You cannot include two of the same character, unless they are a Henchman denoted with an "*", these are generic mooks. This also goes off the characters real name, for example in the Arrow faction there is a Green Arrow leader and a Green Arrow sidekick; but as both are listed as being Oliver Queen you can only take one at any time.
Many of the characters have a cost in $ indicated on his Character Card, representing the quality and quantity of the equipment they carry. A Band cannot spend more than $500 per 150pts of Reputation. You can spend this money on characters or equipment for the Henchmen.
There are several forum/blog/facebook page posts around with suggested starting lineups for the factions, but don't feel that you have to follow these. As an example, my own faction of choice is the League of Shadows. Its recommended startup is Talia al Ghul, Lotus and Yang; but as I had none of those available upon starting I used Nyssa al Ghul, High Security Henchman and Mr Stikk; to some degree of success too. To be honest, if there's a particular model (or models) you want to use that fits within the structure outlined above then go for it.
Once you have a gang, you're almost ready to play. you just need a few more items.
- Tape measure marked in cm
- a lot of dice (we find its best to use them as your willpower markers on each of your character cards)
- an opaque container for determining Take the Lead (who gets to go first each round)
- damage markers - either the official hard plastic ones or others you find suitable
- 3 lamp posts and 3 sewer markers per player
- objective markers - I would suggest a minimum of 1 each to represent Loot, Ammo and Titan, and 2 for Riddles (you choose Riddle as one of your 3 but they are deployed in pairs) per player
- a 90 cm x 90 cm playing area with terrain
Regularly updated articles on Gothams denizens care of the Crits Kill People blog.
Batman forum - rules clarifications, gang building ideas and more.
Bat-Builder - online gang profiles.